[nycphp-talk] oracle to buy zend ???

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Wed Feb 15 07:14:49 EST 2006

Mike Naberezny wrote on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:23 PM:
> Andrew Yochum wrote:
> > If I'm not mistaken, Zend Core for Oracle does not include Oracle
> > itself, only the extension & client libs....
>
> It's important to understand that Zend Core is actually more than just
> libraries.  Core is actually a PHP distribution from Zend, analogous to
> how Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a Linux distribution from Red Hat.
>
> You wouldn't download PHP from php.net and then install Core on top of it.
> You'd just install Zend Core and that would give you PHP with Oracle or
> DB2 support.  You have a database, then install Core, and you end up with
> a complete system.
>
> The difference here is that Core follows a different release cycle than
> mainstream PHP.  It is actually built separately by Zend and is always
> tested against the bundled database libraries.
>
> Similar to how the major Linux distributions work, Core doesn't contain
> all the bleeding-edge features of PHP 5.1.2.  However, the newer features
> are merged in as part of the release cycle after they are QA'ed against
> the rest of the Core distribution.  The aim of Zend Core is to provide a
> version of PHP for use with Oracle or DB2 that is stable and supported.

Would be nice to have a presentation on this, either at a meeting or at
NYPHPCon 2006, since I don't think this is very well known.  It'd be
interesting to hear about the specific advantages core provides, outside of
a web control panel and XYZ database libraries.

---
Hans Zaunere / President / New York PHP
   www.nyphp.org  /  www.nyphp.com