[nycphp-talk] Preventing spam with php mail function

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:53:32 EST 2006

As I recall, the majority of distributed denial of service (DDOS)
attacks are now coming from compromised servers (check Netcraft).
Consider this scenario:

Programming "company" creates website offering a free script to the
world. Maybe it's a PHP script. Maybe it's a forum, or a directory
script, or maybe it's a mod to one of those. The site is in a
less-regulated place with a TLD ending in 2 letters. The coders are
identified by monikers. The "AboutUs" looks one of those corporate
templates we all love so much. The forum is full of "awesome dood... I
need a script like this! But I can't get  it to work!" followed by admin
dude! you rock! It works great!"

What we didn't see was the passing of shell access from user to unknown,
overseas coder. Even if that didn't happen, is the script full of
cross-site or other injection opportunities? Sure they are. Free support
for a free script running on a low-cost shared hosting plan =
compromised server (or compromisable).

Now after you see one of those blatantly exploitable free scripts
gaining popularity, go file a report with Secunia or whomever. Unless
you provide extensive details of the code and exploit potential, they
won't publish it nor can they afford the time to look into it.

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com