[nycphp-talk] C++,C#,Java, Python, Ruby, and finally .. PHP5

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jan 6 00:45:59 EST 2006

Just thought it worth highlighting how Bruce Eckel (C++ standards guy,
long time C/Java expert author) wrote an article in December about
technical aspects of Ruby/Rails evangelism entitled "the Departure of
the Hyper Enthusiasts". He touched on C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and
Perl, comparing and contrastng them as solutions. He ends up picking
PHP5 because:

" I'm going to find something drop-dead simple to solve my drop-dead
simple problems. Probably PHP5, which actually includes most of Java and
C++ syntax, amazingly enough, and I wonder if that isn't what made IBM
adopt it."

http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&thread=141312

I paid very-serious-money to learn C++ from Bruce many years ago, and
repeated with an intro Java course when it took over. As an advanced
instructor he's been around the block with the details... he's not just
a talking head. So it is interesting to me when he abandons Zope and
Python for his web app because he wants a simple solution to the common
problem of web-based database driven application. He loves Python, but
chooses PHP over Rails and python for the MVC app that is driving Rails
popularity.

I could have told him that :-)

On the other hand, is this a sign of PHP's new corporate love affair,
and can we now expect traveling PHP trainers pursuing "enterprise
application development with PHP" gigs?

-=john andrews (holding on to his hat)
htp://www.seo-fun.com