[nycphp-talk] documentation generation?

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Mon Jan 9 11:50:35 EST 2006

Here is a contrary opinion: Don't automate documentation.  I'm a big fan
of automation and automate absolutely everything, always have, and have
had great success doing so.  But no automatic documentation solution ever
satisified me, and I've tried them all, commercial, open-source, and
home-grown.

I finally came to the conclusion that good documentation contains a lot of
stuff that you just can't put into the source code, like example code,
perhaps pictures, links, cross-references and so forth.  Because this
information is different *in-kind* from the details you put into
source-code-based documentation, it should be created in a different
mental context as part of a different effort.  Once you are doing this,
then maintaining auto-doc stuff in the source code means you are putting
it into two places, which is bad, so you drop the docs in the source code
because they are the less important.