[nycphp-talk] Which Linux text editor?

Mikko Rantalainen mikko.rantalainen at peda.net
Tue Jan 17 07:32:21 EST 2006

Kenneth Downs wrote:
> You will of course get many answers...
>
> I like jedit because:
> -> Has syntax coloring, of course
+1

> -> Very intuitive handling of multiple windows
-1 far from perfect IMO. Though, I use BufferTabs plugin which may
trigger some bugs. Or perhaps it's my window manager (IceWM)?

> -> Can parse PHP and highlight errors
+1 (look for PHPParserPlugin)

> -> Has intellisense (which admittedly I never tried to get working)
In fact it has multiple implementations as plugins. All the
implementations I've used collide with some other plugin I'm using
and those other plugins are more important for me.

> -> Easy to install
Well, it's java based and some stuff works better with some VMs and
some other stuff works better with some other VM. For example, Sun
Java 1.6 (mustang) is much faster under linux than any older version
but jEdit has some problems reading the keyboard correctly with it
(e.g. try binding something to alt+ctrl+o and watch an extra "o"
appear when you try that key combination). I use following flags for
java to deal with memory requirements: -Xms4M -Xmx256M.

> -> Pretty easy to write your own syntax coloring, which I need
+1

> -> Session memory, opens all files that were open last time
Also try BufferLocal plugin. It remembers some extra stuff on
per-file basis.

I haven't yet tried eclipse for a long enough time to say anything
final about it but I guess jEdit is the only real choice. (Of
course, if you *already* know vi or emacs, then by all means use
those. OTOH, if you're not familiar with either, I'm not too sure if
they are worth the effort... There are other very good editors, too.)

I'd also suggest trying OpenIt and Tags plugins.

--
Mikko