[nycphp-talk] Accessing a method from one class in another

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Wed Jan 18 14:01:27 EST 2006

> On 1/18/06, Kenneth Downs <ken at secdat.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I guess my options are:
>> >
>> > - set a global variable, which has to be passed to each method
>>
>> By the KISS principle, this is the simplest and is also effective.
>> Therefore any more complicated solution would have to be defended, no?
>
> Not always.

Always.

Involving two completely different connection systems, your own and
PEAR's, is not a trivial design decision, either for you or for that
unnamed person who will code after you.   The number one mistake that
programmers make is abstracting against cases that *might* happen but
which are not on the table right now.  There is a huge difference between
a clean elegant design that is simple and *extensible* and a clunky ugly
horrible design that tries to account for everything that might ever
happen anywhere.

In any event, if you go to a two-connection system then by the KISS
principle you want to find the simplest possible solution for that
context.
Going to a two-connection system is itself rather questionable under the
KISS principle, if you are that worried about it perhaps we should use
PEAR to start off?