[nycphp-talk] Fault tolerant server architecture

Raj shekhar rajlist at rajshekhar.net
Fri Jan 20 03:00:35 EST 2006

in infinite wisdom Cliff Hirsch spoke thus on 01/19/06 21:41:
> Ok, so this may be a bit off topic, but I am trying to determine a cost
> effective architecture for a classic PHP/MySQL site that is fault
> tolerant and can scale-out if needed.

For scaling tips, check he presentations by Michael J. Radwin
http://public.yahoo.com/~radwin/

Fault tolerance can be achieved using commodity hardware and free (as in
speech) software. Some tips
- set up replication for your mysql databases
- load balance your reads between your db master and slave
- store your session data in a database (so that if one machine fails,
the other can take over -- see my point above about replication)
- work out a failover strategy and test it rigorously. Don't depend on
DNS magic for failover.

--
          _.-,               raj shekhar
     .--'  '-._           http://rajshekhar.net