[nycphp-talk] More confused now then before by PHP security!

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sun Jan 22 21:25:01 EST 2006

Cliff wrote:
> Well, of course the good one's was Chris'.

Glad to hear you liked it, Cliff. :-) I'm especially glad to hear that
you appreciate the small size, since that was one of my primary goals.
There are some sample chapters and such available online:

http://phpsecurity.org/

Regarding the original topic, Ilia has posted a follow-up:

http://ilia.ws/archives/103-mysql_real_escape_string-versus-Prepared-Statements.html

He explains that mysql_real_escape_string() doesn't use the correct
character sets when you use a query to change it:

SET CHARACTER SET 'GBK'

It might be the intended behavior, or there might be a reason why it's
impossible for mysql_real_escape_string() to know about the change.
Anyone know? This smells like a bug to me, but I hate to cry bug without
being certain.

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett