[nycphp-talk] More MySQL 5.1.x coolness (partitioning)

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Mon Jan 23 13:33:59 EST 2006

Forgive me, I know this is not the list for MySQL but ive been
playing around w/ partitioning the past few days and finding it
pretty beneficial for "long term data thinking" before building out
new apps, so I just wanted to see if anyone else has been looking at
the feature as well.

I currently have one site running both historical tracking stats and
blog posts and had to mysqldump out the contents for backup and then
discovered horizontal partitioning where you could perform PARTITION
BY RANGE ( YEAR(posted_on) ) and remove/slide it off the stack easily.

This particular feature is detailed here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/
refman/5.1/en/partitioning-range.html

Im sure all the other commercial dbs have this but MySQL is the only
one Ive known, I just really like this feature (as well as everything
else that is sure to be in 5.2), so im I excited about nothing or has
this been around forever + I should be spaghetti whipped by a DBA?

- Jon