[nycphp-talk] LARGE mysql database performance

Tim Sailer sailer at bnl.gov
Tue Jan 31 16:08:17 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:57:47PM -0500, Keith Richardson wrote:
> So I am writing a "security camera" app at work, and using mysql/php. I have
> the cameras uploading snapshots via ftp to the server.
>
> Now for dealing with the images, and indexing them for easy searching, I
> want to throw the info into a mysql database. I wouldnt mind also sticking
> the image data in the table too, so that you HAD to go through the app to
> view the images instead of direct url linking, but was wondering, how does
> mysql react with a 20-30gb database? would this be very bad? I have run a
> forum that used vbulletin with about a 500mb database, but that did not have
> any issues at all.... but 20-30gb is quite the large database :p
>
> Any thoughts or experiences?

I'm not sure what you consider 'large', but I work with tables that are
averaging 500,000,000 records, and about 60G, with a single multi-key
index. I had to switch to Innodb to actually get the inserts to work
with any speed (concurrency issues), but query speed went down about 15%.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer <sailer at bnl.gov>
Information and Special Technologies Program