[nycphp-talk] Help with Buttons and how I can only make pressable once a day

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jul 3 15:45:50 EDT 2006

tedd tedd-at-sperling.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>Hey, what are you doing voting more than once? You trying to screw up the results? :-)
>
>If I was serious about securing a one vote per day thing, I would work out something a bit different. However, as I said "If something like this would solve your problem..."
>
>If he wants something more secure, money is always a good incentive. Ya gets what's pay fer.
>
>tedd

Hah. You'll have to go back about a month or so to see when Sevin was
added to the list to truly appreciate the effort.   ;-)

Anyway, the point is just what several people pointed out when they
asked for more info... the definition of    "how can [I] make the button
only pressable (or be available for "pressing") once a day?"

For some of us, that is the script-kiddie problem that plagues PHP. It
is easy to "adopt" a script but if you do, you adopt a set of
assumptions (and coditions) along with it. Usually they are not obvious.
That makes it "easy" because you don't need to think through those
details, but it also makes it harder as you later discover those details
are actually important. You may not be able to modify those adopted
scripts as needed. And of course, if you never learn of the importance
of the details, they may be out there awaiting exploitation.

I have no problem with scripts like yours, tedd, but it would be really
useful if they came with some details of the assumptions made and links
to tutorials that cover all the bases. Your outbound link could frame
the issue, with the destination providing what is needed to understand
the approach you took with that script.  Otherwise, as a list of "hot
scripts" I could not  recommend them to anyone for fear of perpetuating
the PHP script-kiddie problem. Clearly they serve some other purpose for
you.

I thought Michael's reply was excellent because it addressed the
question and provided outbound links when they are obviously needed
here. but would it get read? I'm not sure, and especially when the
reader could just adopt a script that looks like it works. It seems
sooooooo easy to just go with the script, eh?

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com