[nycphp-talk] Local File versus DB-based configuration setting strategy

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Fri Jul 7 11:52:27 EDT 2006

My config file (mainly constants and global arrays) has grown
significantly as I have shifted more and more potentially dynamic info
out of the code. However, this has opened another can of worms. I now
realize that if I migrate beyond one server, it would be very difficult
to keep the config information in synch using local files.

Obviously the database info can't be kept in the database, but beyond
that, most everything can. I have avoided this presuming that it would
be a huge performance hit, but perhaps not with caching.

What are the implementation possibilities and the pros and cons of each
strategy? Do I need to create fields in a DB for each setting or should
some sort of config setting object be serialized into/out of the
database? What are the performance and coherency issues? Other concerns?

Regards,
Cliff Hirsch
Pinestream Communications, Inc.
52 Pine Street, Weston, MA 02493 USA