[nycphp-talk] PHP/SQL Full Text Search on MySQL

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Thu Jul 20 17:22:16 EDT 2006

Okay so here's how this shaped up, in case this info can ever help you too.

I have MySQL Cookbook and the solid explanation there about full-text
searching is real good,
including (very importantly) the config tweak on how to get MySQL full text
search to include 3-letter words.

But, the zend tutorial pointed out by Craig Thomas jumps right in quite on
the money:
a) builds a quick form,
b) introduces and uses Boolean full text searching too,
c) also offers relevancy in the result sets,
http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/tutorial-ferrara1.php

This other tutorial (though based on another pre-existing code project),
also shows very nicely:
a) how to splice in a list of words to ignore,
b) word weighting,
c) how to apply word stems,
http://www.symfony-project.com/askeet/21

Errata:

Neat explanation.
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/MySQL/Getting-Started-With-MySQLs-Full-Text-S
earch-Capabilities/

A super looking "does it all" search engine PHP project:
http://us2.php.net/mnogosearch

And a search tools compendium:
http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools.html

Gracias y buenos noches.