[nycphp-talk] Why the light has gone out on LAMP

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Tue Jun 6 12:08:21 EDT 2006

At 11:43 AM -0400 6/6/06, Max Gribov wrote:

> > BASIC has become the leading cause of brain-damage in proto-hackers.
>> This is another case (like Pascal) of the cascading lossage that
>> happens when a language deliberately designed as an educational toy
>> gets taken too seriously. A novice can write short BASIC programs (on
>> the order of 10-20 lines) very easily; writing anything longer is (a)
>> very painful, and (b) encourages bad habits that will make it harder to
>> use more powerful languages well. This wouldn't be so bad if historical
>> accidents hadn't made BASIC so common on low-end micros. As it is, it
>> ruins thousands of potential wizards a year.
>>
>> Replace BASIC with PHP or MySQL and you've got today's most common
>> programmer. Worse, the most common programs in existence today mix the
> > two in a brain-freezing mixture of stupidity.

BASIC typically gets a bad rap -- but in some it's not deserved.

I spent many years programing in FutureBASIC for the Mac it was far better than the other languages I programmed in, such as CodeWarrior.

I could turn out a "real" application in a fraction of the time it would take C programmers and there was no difference in application performance (i.e., speed).

But then again, maybe I'm one of those "brain-damage in proto-hackers" -- that might explain a lot, huh? Maybe that's why I turned to php/mysql -- hmmmm.

tedd