[nycphp-talk] QUESTION ABOUT PHP INSTALLATION

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jun 19 15:45:33 EDT 2006

Salman Mazhar salmaz2000-at-gmail.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install PHP 5.1.4 on my Windows Computer. Please note
> that it is not a Web Server. Its just a simple computer for home use.
> First of all, can I even install PHP on this or does it have to be on
> a web server? Then what configuration changes do I need to make in
> order for the PHP files to run successfully? Does my source code have
> to be in any particular directory on my machine and in order to access
> those pages, what URL do I need to type in my browser and can I also
> put my HTML files in the same directory? Please can you help me?
>
> Thanks.
> Sincerely Yours,
> Salman Mazhar.

If it's just for development work, use XAMPP or EasyPHP or WAMP. I have
all three on my Windows notebook and they all work. I like XAMPP the
best, but that may be because I am comfortable manually configuring
Apache/PHP anyway. EasyPHP was truly easy.

Sounds like a great opportunity to make a quantum leap and install
Ubuntu linux as a dual-boot on that Windows machine :-)
If you have decent hard drive space, Ubuntu installs nicely alongside
windows. There are a few videos on Google (ubuntu windows dual boot)
that make it trivial to do. Once you do that, you can experience PHP in
a Linux environment and your learning will be much more valuable. There
are many, many Free/Open source packages that don't work properly on a
Windows box and discovering that for yourself can be quite frustrating.
Instead, every newbie struggle with PHP on Ubuntu will lead to forward
knowledge momentum... a much better value for your time spent IMHO.

Of course any decent linux would do, but I went with Ubuntu on an
existing Windows box and it was a breeze.

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com