[nycphp-talk] telnet

Andrew Yochum andrew at plexpod.com
Wed Mar 8 12:18:43 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 12:17:51PM -0500, aaron wrote:
> I have a php script that  I'd like to use to open a telnet connection,
> send a few telnet commands, then exit. I haven't done this type of
> connection before, and not sure what set of php functions to start with.
> Any suggestions?

If you have SSH access to the remote machine, you might Sara Golemon's
SSH2 PECL extension:
    http://pecl.php.net/package/ssh2

It's not telnet exactly but will help you achieve exactly what you need.
And if you're crossing a public network, it's best to use SSH in place
of telnet anyway.  Plaintext protocols such as telnet & ftp are insecure
by nature.

HTH,
Andrew
--