[nycphp-talk] Subversion, Bugzilla hosting

Greg Rundlett greg.rundlett at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 00:30:10 EST 2006

On 3/10/06, Cliff Hirsch <cliff at pinestream.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I found those guys and it looks like they offer a nice package.
>
> Another option I'm honing in on is VPS -- looks pretty reasonable and
> flexible.

Caution.  I know other people have obviously had positive experiences
with VPS and/or 'root servers' from 1&1 or other companies.  I did
not.

I found it to be one of the most dissatisfying experiences of my
consulting career.  I wasted 10x the amount of time I would have spent
just doing the sysadmin work myself.  The installation and setup of my
accounts were buggy.  The software (cPanel or Plesk) were useless.
That software is not nearly as useful as Webmin.  More than anything,
managing the server through the terrible 'control panel' was the
really bad part.  And there was incongruous language in their
advertising and TOS that ended up biting me too.