[nycphp-talk] Save Me From MySQL Self

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Thu Mar 16 13:07:07 EST 2006

In order to avoid my flooding this PHP list with MySQL questions, can
someone please point me to a fast-acting MySQL list where
questions/issues get addressed just as quickly and dynamically as they do
here on the premiere NYPHP list.

For example, I need to know:

If I have a MySQL table with, say, 200 rows of entries already in it.
The table has been using auto-increment.
Client wants to manually re-number these first historic 200 entries
according to how they were numbered 1-200 when originally entered by hand in
the paper ledger.
So, can I just remove auto-increment with a table schema update.
Then manually rejuggle the numbers in the now dead auto-increment field.
Then put auto-increment back and MySQL will happily start auto-incrementing
again at 200 without a hitch.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec,
Technology Director