[nycphp-talk] PHP 5's Importance to Web Developers

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Thu Mar 16 14:56:45 EST 2006

Jon Baer wrote:
> I think you will find yourself @ a point where your toolset will make
> you "move on" ... I think MySQL is suffering from the same ideals,
> the major problems I see are finding the time to adjust to a)
> learning b) setting it up ...
>
> A good example is the new S3 Amazon storage ...
>
> http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?
> externalID=126&categoryID=47
>
> You can notice @ the bottom people requesting <= PHP4 usage :-\
>
> - Jon

Realistically, modifying that demo to use php4 and replacing the pear
dependencies with sha1 and curl calls would be a trivial task, and imho
there is no reason for requiring php5 in this instance aside from poor
coding.

There are limitations to what can be done in php4, but right now I see
no compelling reason for the majority of code out there to move to php5,
especially as the vast majority of web servers are still running php4,
and quite a lot of them php4.3.x.

That said, I am very excited at the prospect of real unicode support in
php6.

Dan