[nycphp-talk] Pear Mail error

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Mon Mar 20 16:19:55 EST 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Cliff Hirsch wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Cliff Hirsch wrote:
>
>> The first build came from an rpm of unknown origin.
>
> That alone sounds taboo ;-)
>
> Yeah, the joys of learning Linux on the fly. Ever hear of Virtual
> Duct Tape? Time to scrub out the old   junk.
 From my own experience (and im not sure how much of this has
changed) but the main problem w/ installing from RPMs and pre-built
packages is that they seem to always try to make guesses on where you
have other stuff installed and when you deal w/ a scripting language
that has so many extensions such as PHP you don't get flexibility
from installing it as is.  On the flip side you get this feeling of
safeness that you can't and haven't screwed anything up :-)

Either way Id say one of the better joys in learning Linux is
learning to configure and compile the source on your own to get what
you need out of PHP.  Granted it is more time to invest but at least
you know you have your own setup, know where things are, and when in
doubt have a phpinfo() to come back to.

Finding time in a busy day .. well that's another deal :-)

- Jon