[nycphp-talk] not including '.php' in URI

Dan Horning dan at danhorning.com
Tue Mar 21 13:43:55 EST 2006

inforequest wrote:
> Ajai Khattri ajai-at-bitblit.net |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:
>

>> inforequest wrote:
>>

>>> haha never execute a tactic without a defined objective... if it has
>>> side effects that will come back to bite you ;-)
>>> (in other words, don't rock the boat doh!)
>>>
>>> What are the "added benefits" ?
>>>
>>> - you look more like a Web2.0 app
>>> - you make it easier for people who use search engines to find PHP
>>> materials (instead of  .php files)
>>> - you make management wonder if you really are using java for web
>>> development like they think you should
>>> - you are more "search engine friendly" by the 2004 definition
>>>
>>> Seriously, how about:
>>>
>>> - you establish the potential for long-lived URLs that survive a change
>>> in technology (weak excuse, not likely, but theoretically ok)
>>> - you are slightly more search engine friendly
>>> - your URLs are slightly more user friendly, more likely to get
>>> remembered, bookmarked, etc.
>>> - friendlier URLs are more likely to get backlinks, and deep backlinks
>>> are more desireable than root backlinks
>>> - it leaves more room for innovation down the road (ties into the first
>>> reason on this list...long-lived URLs)
>>>

>> Noone wearing their sys admin hat today?
>>
>> OTOH, making your web server parse all files as PHP will likely increase
>> the load...
>>

> hmm.. I didn't think he asked for reasons why *not* to do it, did he?
>
> As for increased load, theoretically yes. Ever test it? It depends on
> how many non-php files your web server is serving up, right? How about
> none? How about when you separate display from code? With templates?
> Which templating system? Oh, that's right.. PHP *is* a templating
> system. So then they are all .php files again??
>
> It all depends on how you use it, right?
>
> -=john andrews
> http://www.seo-fun.com
> New York PHP Conference and Expo 2006
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

the most logical reason not to do it is!!!

Vulnerabilities,
it's not a matter of making things faster, b/c it won't, I've tried, but
in actuality you create excessive opportunities for  security breaches,
why on earth would you want to make your life harder. on that note, if
you don't want people to see .php, why don't you setup everything to be
mapped by a mod_rewrite system, makes more sense, but really, i still
don't get why you'd even want to care about .php, it works, now if we're
talking SEO, then this conversation will have to look at quite a few
other things. but for general serving of pages, the .php or .phtml as it
used to be worked to prevent your webserver from doing extra work and
also to prevent uploaded files from being used as PHP scripts.

-dan "the talker" horning

--
Dan Horning - danhorning.com
American Digital Services - americandigitalservices.com