[nycphp-talk] not including '.php' in URI

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 21 14:11:29 EST 2006

Chris Shiflett shiflett-at-php.net |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>Dan Horning wrote:
>

>>it's not a matter of making things faster, b/c it won't, I've
>>tried, but in actuality you create excessive opportunities for
>>security breaches, why on earth would you want to make your
>>life harder.
>>

>Can you substantiate that claim? My web sites don't use file extensions,
>but I doubt you can convince me that this increases my security risk.
>
>I know little to nothing about SEO - my decision is based on my opinion
>that URLs are basically friendly APIs for the average person. Things
>like file extensions and underscores don't seem very friendly.
>
>Simple is beautiful. :-)
>
>Chris

I appreciate this discussion. It's good stuff. I'd like to see more of it.

There are so many ways to avoid using file extensions... Maybe it's

 www.site.tld/nicename causes Apache to run /nicename/index.php
or
 www.site.tld/nicename causes Apache to run /nicename/index.html (which
is a PHP script, or maybe not)
or
 www.site.tld/nicename is merely a referrer reference because PHP.ini
runs a (PHP script) controller every time
or
 www.site.tld/nicename causes Apache to run /nicename (a PHP script with
no extension)
or
 www.ste.tld/nicename causes Apache to run redirect to
/nicename/controller.php via a rewrite rule

Each has performance issues, security issues, etc. How can one generalize?

Chris chooses to accommodate the user, and handles the security and
performance issues. Isn't that how we all have to do it? Choose a
strategy and cover the bases?

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com