[nycphp-talk] Javascript trigger

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 28 17:31:13 EST 2006

I don't really have any objection to your suggestion, exept for the
"example". It seems to me (and yes, I have been wrong once before), that
trendy things like AJAX tend to get used when a wee bit more thought
might have revealed better, more efficient solutons. case in point:

yes, a tedious set of lookups like your example of

Select Your Country>> Select Your State>>
Select Your City>> Select Your Zip>> Select Your Nearest Location

would require a large database of support and therefore does seem to obviate the need for a huge data preload by running dynamic lookups via AJAX.

However, why do we even need that tedious set of lookups? Your a-priori knowledge isn't being utilized. If the user knows ZIP, why ask for CITY STATE COUNTRY? If it's a shipping app, the prior stage might have cued the user to be prepared to enter a shipping destination. What % of visitors ship to a zip code outside of their IP-geo location? It might be way-small. When you think about it, how much info is already encoded in the ZIP code anyway? Certainly region is represented in the first two numerals of ZIP... a state or two of preload maybe?

I agree there is a place for AJAX, but I don't agree that the majority
of coders out there are thinking about the application of their code
nearly as much as they are thinking about their own tech careers when
they choose things like AJAX.

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com