[nycphp-talk] Events Management - is there a solid F/OS code base ?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Mar 29 20:22:56 EST 2006

csnyder chsnyder-at-gmail.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>On 3/29/06, inforequest <1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
>>ow often must they be regenerated?
>>How far out into the future do we need to have handy, or at what cost do
>>we ask the smarter server to regenerate them? How often will it be
>>updated, and how far into the future?
>>

>Well now you're cheating. ;-)
>
>Or rather, you're making a practical case for pre-rendering all of
>those time slices so that when you go to render a calendar view
>(whether 1 month or 3 days or 2 hours) you can just fetch all of the
>slices that apply and spit them out in a template.

or letting the app developer cheat as possible/practical, while
protecting the "raw" data from harm. YES re: the calendar view being
just about what it is now. I abstract the event database and design it
to support optimizations that support such views.

> I'll go back
>to my original post and point out that there is some benefit to just
>brute-force plotting recurring events as they are inserted / updated.
>There's around 500,000 10-minute time slices between now and 2016.
>It's a big number, but not scary big. Any single recurring event is
>going to touch a miniscule fraction of them.
>
>So your "temp" table could actually reflect changes in real time.

For many deployments I expect that to be the case :-)  They would push
back to the time slice database prior to regenerating new "temp" tables.

>And lets not forget that people and resources can be mapped to timeslices as well, which gives you scheduling capability.

Whoa there cowboy. I am way too smart to get involved with scheduling.
Next thing you know somebody will want to predict the shortest path for
a traveling salesman, too!

>But the real question is... who besides Jeff Knight is crazy enough to
>build such a system? If you get it right, you'll be well on your way to replacing
>everybody's most-hated email server....

Me and my Matlab are well on the way. I have no idea of the numerical
capabilities of a web server, but expect to find out someday.