[nycphp-talk] Contracting in NYC

Marty Landman mlandman at face2interface.com
Wed May 10 13:15:06 EDT 2006

At 12:51 PM 5/10/2006, David Ngo wrote:
>Do any of you guys commute to NYC from New Jersey?

I did many years ago so take what I say with a grain of salt David, i.e.
verify it still works this way.

>I currently live in New Jersey and am planning to accept a contract in
>NYC. It is on a 1099, and I have heard that if you work in NYC you have to
>pay a city tax. Is this true?

AFAIK it is true.

>If so how much is it

Depends on how much you earn in NYC. :) Check for forms and booklets
http://www.tax.state.ny.us/

>and would I have to pay it even if I'm on a 1099?

Yep. You'll either be filing as a sole proprietor or corporation, right?
Either way you're responsible for taxes including withholding taxes and
don't be late because they get you with fees when you are. You will also
have to pay NYS tax iirc. They will - or at least used to - credit your NJ
income tax but since that's less than NY tax your out of pocket will be the
same as if you lived in NY.

>I am trying to decide between 2 job offers right now, one of them is in
>New Jersey, and the other one is in NYC.

OTOH if your main work location is your local office then you may be able
to deduct travelling costs. Might be worth some intensive reading of the
tax pubs, or even a 1 hour consult with an accountant familiar with this
situation.

hth,

Marty

--
Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Free Database Search App: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml