[nycphp-talk] MySQL 4 vs. 5 and character encoding (?)

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Wed May 10 20:10:31 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:21:34PM -0400, Rahmin Pavlovic wrote:

> On 5/10/06 11:53 AM, "Daniel Convissor" <danielc at analysisandsolutions.com>
> wrote:
>
> > How did you do that?  ALTER TABLE?  If so, that's too late.
> >
> > Open up the SQL script created by mysqldump.  What's the default charset
> > defined in the CREATE TABLE statements?
>
> latin1_swedish_ci.

That's the character set you got when dumping from MySQL 5?  You said you
had the unusual characters working nicely in MySQL 5.  But how can that
be if you had the character set as latin1?

> When I ALTER TABLE, it successfully updates to
> utf8_general_ci.  Why is it too late?  Do I need to re-dump?

Because importing to a latin1 table modifies the original UTF-8 data --
assuming it was UTF-8, of course.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/