[nycphp-talk] MySQL 4.1.5-gamma-nt Upgrade >> MySQL 5.0.21

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Fri May 12 11:24:55 EDT 2006

Dear Daniel Convissor or Hans or other Gurus:

I want to safely upgrade MySQL on Windows Server 2003.
I saw Dan's great tutorial at
http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/mybasic.htm#installation
Based on current practices and issues, can I do the following:

Move 1: The Upgrade
1) Grab the "Windows (x86) Installer" to install MySQL 5.
2) NET STOP mysql
a) Install MySQL5 into new, unique directories.
b) Specify a new name for the mysqld service.
c) Listen on a different port.
d) Run >> mysql_upgrade --user=root_user --password=user_pwd
--basedir=mysql5_basedir --datadir=mysql5_datadir

Does moving from 4.1 to 5 introduce a new password encryption style issue
like 3.2 to 4.1?
Will the above steps give me two safely seperated instances of MySQL on the
same box?

Move 2: Data Transfer
1) Dump the old MySQL 4.1 data, as Dan suggests.
2) Make the "TYPE=ISAM" to "TYPE=MyISAM" change inside the dump file.
3) Import into MySLQ 5.

Will the above steps work and give me a dual MySQL4 and MySQL5?

Thanks to any and all who can comment.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec,
Technology Director