[nycphp-talk] Which "ajax/xhr framework" are you using in PHP5?

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Mon May 15 18:32:37 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Jon Baer <jonbaer at jonbaer.com> wrote:
> Ive become a Japhuby programmer the past few months and switching
> back and forth, the last PHP bit I used Sajax for simple remote calls
> but then got seriously hooked on Rails/Prototype/RJS and have to jump
> back so I may use something w/ CakePHP but I thought Id ask a
> general .. "what ajax lib" you are using (no explanation needed) as
> the whole XHR thing is pretty trivial ...
>
> - Jon

Prototype is scratching a lot of itch for me right now. I think of it
as JavaScript 2.0. Not sure what extra candy you get when using it
with Rails, but it sure is useful with php. My only gripe is that
there is no API documentation that combines "standard" and Prototype
js, so you have to keep at least two tabs open to get the full story:
http://www.sergiopereira.com/articles/prototype.js.html
and http://www.krook.org/jsdom/  (thanks, Dan!)

I have also been using the visual effects and drag-n-drop features in
Script.aculo.us, though I hacked that up pretty heavily to support
multiple-selection.

I want to add Behavior, too, just to get all the <script> tags out of
the markup, but I haven't gotten that far down on the list. As I
understand it, Behavior assigns js functionality to css classes, so
that every div with class="draggable" can automatically be registered
as draggable.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/