[nycphp-talk] upgrading to php5

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Wed May 17 17:22:39 EDT 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Urb LeJeune wrote:

> 	I upgraded to PHP5 and the upgrade went smoothly. There is a
> major difference with array_merge() in PHP5 if one of the arrays is null.
> $Array1 = array_merge($Array2,$Array3);
> If either $Array2 or Array3 is null $Array1 will be null even though the other
> array is loaded.
>
> 	Is anyone aware of a listing of function containing potential upgrade
> problems when upgrading to PHP5.

That is the big one, outside of the obvious pieces (like, certain XML
extensions are gone).

There is also the bit about not being able to return non-variables by
reference, but I believe that was also merged into PHP 4.x.

I have a pretty complete list in Appendix B (I think B) of 'Upgrading
to PHP 5'. I think there is one on php.net, which is free, but I can't
remember where. Maybe someone else has the list?

-adam

--
adam at trachtenberg.com | http://www.trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"