[nycphp-talk] MySQL GPL License

Mark Withington mwithington at PLMresearch.com
Fri Nov 10 16:18:55 EST 2006

GPL is a distribution license.  If you don't distribute the code (e.g. the
output is delivered via the web) then you're kewl.  If you incorporate the
mysql client in your code, and then distribute your code - guess what, it's
under GPL too.  Now, if that bothers you, MySQL would be happy to sell you
their software under their proprietary license.  Pretty kewl marketing idea,
huh?