[nycphp-talk] Website Screenshots from PHP

JJainschigg at cmp.com JJainschigg at cmp.com
Sat Nov 11 22:51:21 EST 2006

Kind of a cute idea -- but what a massive infrastructure. Sadly, there
doesn't seem to be an fopen-wrappers compatible GD image function called
'getwebpageandrenderaspngjustlikethelatestversionofIEorFFwould()' (grin).

I'll bet PHP-Windows people could do this sort of thing quasi-natively,
all on the server side, by slaving a local copy of IE under control of a
thin ActiveX component. But I'll bet FF on Linux can't be controlled
(read: 'subverted') in an analogous way -- to look where you tell it to
look, and capture a screenshot to the local file system.

But I'll bet a Linux PHP user could approximate the same effect (with
better security) by downloading an ActiveX screen capture component to a
client PC under IE, then using AJAX (or simpler asynch techniques) to let
the PHP server drive the client browser around the web, making it look at
and capture URLs in iframes, and upload the resulting image files. To keep
from hitting cross-domain security roadblocks, you'd probably have to
proxy the client's outbound accesses across your server.

John Jainschigg
Editor in Chief, Online
Software Development Media Group
CMP Media, LLC
600 Community Drive
Manhasset, New York 11030
desk: 516-562-5617
mobile: 917-405-3116
email: jjainschigg at cmp.com

Jon Baer <jonbaer at jonbaer.com>
Sent by: talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org
11/11/2006 02:59 PM
Please respond to
NYPHP Talk <talk at lists.nyphp.org>

NYPHP Talk <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [nycphp-talk] Website Screenshots from PHP

There is an API service for it ...

http://webshotspro.com/

Its free unless you want your priority on their cluster moved up ...

http://webshotspro.com/register.php

It does not look fullscreen though, only app Ive seen do it is Papparazi
on the Mac (http://www.derailer.org/paparazzi/)

- Jon