[nycphp-talk] Zip Code field in Excel

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Wed Nov 15 18:49:42 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Dell Sala wrote:

> Hi Nelly,
>
> Have you looked into PEAR's Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer? I haven't used
> it myself, but perhaps you can have more control over cell types if
> you generate a native excel file rather than a csv file.
>
> http://pear.php.net/package/Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer

Deja vu all over again (-:  Yes, it works good.

Though I found that if I used writeRow() with a row of data right out of a
db table (with stuff like lastname, firstname, ..., zipcode), I had
exactly the same issue you're trying to solve, i.e., the zips were treated
as numeric types. I had to use writeString() to make it a string. It was
little clumsy but it worked.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

En Nueva York el tránsito de la belleza a la desolación sucede
siempre expeditivamente, como si el principio universal
de máxima eficiencia hubiera aconsejado la supresión de
gradaciones intermedias.

  -- Antonio Muñoz Molina, Ventanas de Manhattan