[nycphp-talk] PHP Development on the Road (More Advice Needed)

Brian Dailey support at dailytechnology.net
Thu Nov 16 08:59:10 EST 2006

I'm originally from Tennessee. Where I lived, broadband was unavailable.
Dialup was painfully slow, so I ended up using Verizon's wireless
network as my primary connection (while at home). I have found it to be
great to use, but I've also heard some horror stories about
nightmarishly large cell phone bills (they advertise it as "unlimited",
but it's not - I think 5GB is the magic number).

The connection was slower in the country (but faster than dialup,
generally speaking) but in medium to large cities it was lightning fast
on an available EVDO connection.

Even in the countryside I was able to (telnet|ssh|ftp) without any real
issues.

I wouldn't recommend it for constantly-on connections, but for basic
administration, ssh, vnc, what-have-you, it works in a pinch.

By the way, I learned the hard way it's cheaper to get access through a
PC card (60/month) than a cell phone (80/month).