[nycphp-talk] Bandwidth modeling -- extending the hosting question

David A.Roth rothmail at comcast.net
Fri Nov 17 11:24:15 EST 2006

Good question, Cliff. In addition to mere uptimes, I'm concerned about
capacity planning. I don't feel comfortable recommending anything
without being able to answer the real question of how much can it
handle. This kind of reminds me of when I had the central air
conditioner in my home replaced. Some installers would only do a Manual
J Calculation to determine exactly what was needed, while others
claimed that by the time they pulled up in the driveway they knew the
number of tons size unit the home needed. I feel comfortable having a
formula if one can be applied.

I wonder if anyone has taken servers in a lab environment and did
benchmarks on it so that there were some sort of guidelines? That way,
if marketing says "We expect X number of users accessing the web site
at once..." then a nice formula to plug it into to help us gauge what
CPU, RAM, bandwidth and number of servers that would be needed would be
very helpful. This would vary depending on how a user is defined such
as streaming video or submitting an inquiry form, for example.

As for determining the number of requests per second an Apache
installation is capable of serving, there is a tool called 'ab' (Apache
HTTP server benchmarking tool). I have some experience with this tool.
I connected an older slow box on the LAN, and continued to increase
traffic until it buckled. Of course, I wasn't able to perform such as
test with a web hosting service because I'm sure it would be considered
a Denial of Service attack, which is why I mentioned to do this in a
lab environment LAN and then with permission to a live target web site.

For the specific web site, a load test tool could simulate X numbers of
users doing Y activities simultaneously.

I'm thinking to gather all this test data, a package (open sources)
could be installed on the source and target test machines and the
results uploaded to a web site which would be a clearing house for the
data. Anything like what I described (wished for:-) ) exist in open
sources?

David Roth
rothmail at comcast.net