[nycphp-talk] File upload, redefined (except requires Flash...)

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 15:03:18 EST 2006

Ajaxian posted a story yesterday about SWFUpload, which is a
configurable Flash file upload control. Users can upload multiple
files using Ctrl-click. It has progress bars. And you can make the
control like whatever you want. The included test script is PHP.

http://labb.dev.mammon.se/swfupload/

I was especially curious about multiple upload, it turns out that it
just makes sequential calls to the backend script. The backend script
needs to save the file somewhere, and store that location in a
$_SESSION variable, so that in can be matched up with any other files
and the rest of the form submission later.

In a recent thread here we talked about how you should be storing
uploads temporarily anyway (in case there are errors on another part
of the form); this provides even more incentive to do that.

Despite the Flash requirement, this seems like a graceful way to wipe
out a number of file-upload-related annoyances once and for all.

----
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/