[nycphp-talk] mod_rewrite -- what's the big deal?

Billy Reisinger billy.reisinger at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 08:52:28 EDT 2006

So, yeah, there's the whole point about the urls being easier to
remember.  Also, having your query string out there in the wild
reveals some things about your implementation to would-be hackers.
Not that you aren't covering your ass, of course. That's just another
excuse I've heard for using mod-rewrite.
Another thing is that you aren't revealing the file type you are
using (php) and thus are making it even harder for someone to know
how you are generating content.  Of course, someone could just
inspect the HTTP headers to find out your server is using PHP.  On
the other hand, if you are using a service to distribute your content
widely, like a server farm (think Akamai), you now have complete
ambiguity about what technology you are using.