[nycphp-talk] Eval question

Chris Merlo chris at theyellowbox.com
Thu Oct 12 10:26:43 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, LK <lk613m at yahoo.com> wrote:

> <?php
>   $x = 3;
>   $y = 4;
>   $calc_str = '$x * $y';
>   eval("echo \"$calc_str\";");
> ?>
>
> I want to evaluate the expression $x * $y (x times y). But when I run it
> thru the eval() function it returns "3 * 4" instead of "12". It seems to
> interpret * as a string instead of a multiplication operator. Any
> suggestions greatly appreciated

I haven't had my coffee yet, but I would guess that it has something to do
with those single quotes.

But there's a bigger question here:  Why do you want to store the expression
in a string?  Just store the $x and the $y, and multiply them when you have
to.  If there's some larger issue at hand, like you have to read the
expressions from a file or something, use the regexp functions to get the
two operands and the operator, and then do the math you have to do.
-c