[nycphp-talk] Successor to the Web?

Daniel Krook krook at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 18 10:42:55 EDT 2006

Phil,

> ...As
> remarkable as the Web is, I am coming to the conclusion
> that it has some severe limitations for the kinds of
> complex applications that were the standard in the
> client/server days.  I know that going back to
> client/server is not the answer and suspect that somewhere
> someone is working on an Internet-based system that could
> ultimately replace the page-oriented Web.  Can anybody
> point me in that direction?
> My primary concern with the Web is that it seems to be a
> force-fit of page-orientation and statelessness to
> structured programming/object orientation, which I find to
> be inherently task-oriented.
> While many programmers have
> reservations about the need for these disciplines, it has been my
> experience that they become increasingly important as the
> size and complexity of an application system increases.
> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

> Phil Duffy

There's an interesting article beginning a series at developerWorks which
shares and addresses some of your concerns (using new technologies to
eliminate the page-based Web while still adhering to the Web's fundamental
roots):

Ajax and REST, Part 1: Advantages of the Ajax/REST architectural style for
immersive Web applications
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxarch/

Some more information about REST principles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer

HTH,
-Dan

Daniel Krook, Content Tools Developer
Global Production Services - Tools, ibm.com