[nycphp-talk] Successor to the Web?

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 17:11:53 EDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Jon Baer <jonbaer at jonbaer.com> wrote:

> I think he nailed it best ...
>
> MVC/AJAX/RPC interface, pluggable 3rd party API layers (even including
> authentication via open source identity servers), and literally "anywhere"
> storage.
>
> Changing world ...
>
> - Jon
>
> On Oct 18, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Peter Sawczynec wrote:
>

> XML AJAX SOA RPC SOAP WDSL RSS VoIP Amazon Cloud EC2
> Statelessness is the state.
> Network is the desktop.

Maybe we just have very strong blinders on.  :-)

HTTP was designed for a certain flavor of application, the kind that
involves discrete requests for content-bearing resources on remote
servers.

It turns out you can build a helluva lot of useful stuff with it,
especially if you add a session mechanism and start
automating/scripting the requests.

But just because you _can_ build an application by cobbling together
all these technologies, doesn't mean you _should_.

I think the SecondLife example is a good one. Cyberspace made real.

I also think that virtualization has made it a snap to create
application "kiosks" where you use a VNC client rather than a web
browser to connect to and interact with a system, even if (especially
if!) that system is running on your own workstation.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/