[nycphp-talk] [OT] Re: Successor to the Web?

Anirudh Zala arzala at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 01:31:06 EDT 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 03:03, inforequest wrote:
> Phil Duffy phil-at-bearingasset.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:
> > I am sorry if this question appears to be off-topic, but perhaps
> > someone can refer me to the correct forum.  I had programmed in
> > approximately a dozen languages previously before dabbling in PHP a
> > couple years ago.  Now that PHP 5 is truly object-oriented, I find it
> > to be the most powerful of the languages with which I am familiar.  As
> > remarkable as the Web is, I am coming to the conclusion that it has
> > some severe limitations for the kinds of complex applications that
> > were the standard in the client/server days.  I know that going back
> > to client/server is not the answer and suspect that somewhere someone
> > is working on an Internet-based system that could ultimately replace
> > the page-oriented Web.  Can anybody point me in that direction?
>
> Whatever works will replace the web, one piece at a time. Just because
> people didn't understand how free information (truthful or not) would
> change their lives (and so they adopted the web), people don't know what
> else they need, either. Somebody has to show it to them (one piece at a
> time).

Very true. People use web just as a part of fulfilling their requirements.
That is why they don't pay much attention towards how they are being served.
As soon as their purposes are fulfilled, they stop using web and continue
doing other stuffs. Since they are not much aware of technologies on which
web applications have been built and running, we can't rely much on their
opinion to bring changes. Hence it is mostly our efforts to make any changes
that we think it needs to bring.