[nycphp-talk] DataObject implementation (was Re: Constructors and)

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Thu Oct 19 14:29:59 EDT 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Dell Sala wrote:

> The other possibility is to look into existing DataObject frameworks
> that have already implemented the fancy stuff for you. I've used
> PEAR's DB_DataObject. It's a bit of a pain to get up an running, but
> it's solid. There are quite a few others -- here are a few:
>
> http://pear.php.net/package/DB_DataObject/
> http://propel.phpdb.org/trac/
> and CakePHP implements its own ActiveRecord  http://cakephp.org/

I was gonna say -- but didn't, for brevity's sake -- that I have spent
several+ hours with Cake, and it does seem mighty cool, yet I've run into
enough snags to wonder about the name. Like findAll() not fetching the
data that I need and having to write custom SQL anyway.

Then I looked at DB_DataObject and quickly noticed the pain part that you
refer to. I realize I don't quite get it and that's surely part of my
problem, but still I think the docs and examples on
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.database.db-dataobject.php are kind
of abstruse.

I might end up coming full circle and hand-coding a lot of stuff. I recall
the words of one great sage on this list:

"SQL is a language. Love it."

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

En Nueva York el tránsito de la belleza a la desolación sucede
siempre expeditivamente, como si el principio universal
de máxima eficiencia hubiera aconsejado la supresión de
gradaciones intermedias.

  -- Antonio Muñoz Molina, Ventanas de Manhattan