[nycphp-talk] IT Policies

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Thu Oct 19 19:12:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

    so you want to create high quality software. That is not only a task
of developing. You want to address quality issues way before writing or
even testing code. That would be during the design phase. Does the
application design specify explicitly things such as input checking
(what to check and what is to be considered OK), user interface design,
modularization as much as possible, and things like that. Also, you want
to tell your developers that any code passed on to QA has to be tested
against a good set of test cases by the developer. Claiming that it
compiles is not sufficient. Also, you want to come up with some coding
convention and demand fully commented source code (which means comments
for each line that have a code word or an operation in them). Also, see
that you ideally get a tester to developer ratio of 1:1, not 1:20 as it
is common in most places. I think 1:3 is reasonable (one tester for
three developers). Include the testers, the developers, support, and
customers in the design decisions. None of your developers will use the
software on a regular basis, your customers will, so they have to say
what flies and what not.

 From my experience, when the developer isn't absolutely and entirely
sure that the code delivered is good code, there is no reason to make a
tester suffer. And listen to the people at the front line, mainly
support and the customers themselves. Uh, and get developers who know
the industry and not just the latest tricks in coding. You can get to
that by giving the developers plenty of training. And, put the
developers into the support department for at least one day each month.
Nothing straightens out a developer more than a bitching customer. Most
developers need to experience the pain first hand to be convinced that
their code is crap.

Besides that, you can read my MS thesis about just this topic. ;)

David K.