[nycphp-talk] Textarea formatting

AbraCadab Ra abracadabra13 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 10:18:24 EDT 2006

I had a similar issue and this is the solution i came up with. I have often
wondered if this is the right way of doing it or not, but I'm by far not a
PHP guru, just learning.

before inserting into the database I encode the data using the
htmlspecialchars() function.

$encReq = htmlspecialchars($req, ENT_QUOTES);

when I'm displaying it back to the user i had to use the following function
to convert it back into HTML.

function unhtmlspecialchars( $string )
{
    $string = str_replace ( '&', '&', $string );
    $string = str_replace ( ''', '\'', $string );
    $string = str_replace ( '"', '"', $string );
    $string = str_replace ( '&lt;', '<', $string );
    $string = str_replace ( '&gt;', '>', $string );

    return $string;
}

This is something i came across after doing some reading though the PHP
manual and some of the user comments on the subject.

If anything knows of a more effective and efficient method, I'd love to know
about it.

Thanks,
Yusuf.