[nycphp-talk] To Smarty Or Not to Smarty: That Is The Question

Richard Harding rharding at mitechie.com
Mon Sep 4 20:13:42 EDT 2006

LeeEyerman at aol.com wrote:
> TO SMARTY OR NOT TO SMARTY: THAT IS THE QUESTION
>
> A client of mine is debating, rather furiously, the merits of using
> Smarty in their upcoming web-applications.  Up to this point, I have not
> used Smarty - and I will admit it - I am an old school programmer who
> hates OOP, and to me, Smarty looks like another ill-conceived
> paradigm developed in OOP that creates a lot more hassle than it solves.
>
> ...snip
>
> Can anyone give any guidance about when to and when not to use Smarty?
 > ...snip
> Any information that could assist my reasoning, one way or the other,
> would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Lee

I've worked a little bit with smarty and I've had some discussions
online. The one thing that it all comes back to is this:

If your template designers are not php developers then using smarty as
an interface that the designers can use might make some sense. If the
guys doing the php are also doing the designing then I would suggest you
take a peek at something like Savant or other php based solution.

Rick