[nycphp-talk] talk Digest, Vol 40, Issue 20

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 14 16:56:23 EDT 2006

David Krings ramons-at-gmx.net |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>What freaks me outis when I can simply dismantle a page for a for profit business by entering "O'Neill"
>into some text box.

Haha great example (for me anyway).

That's not a developer problem in many cases, though. It's a management
problem (or, if the budget and time frame are from Mars, a specificatons
problem). Somebody has to be watching the code for functionality,
especially when inexperienced coders are used or coders who are
inexperienced at the niche area. That can be a QA team or a manager or a
test group... but it needs a codified process. Hoping the programmer is
smart enough to handle most situations is a mistake IMHO. How could you
ever put pressure on that coder to increase production? Whatever is in
the shadows will get skipped due to 9unsupervised) prioritization.

As for this bigger issue (thanks Michael for bringing it to the list)
has anybody considered how competition enforces the rules of play? Not
too many people... yet in sectors where it matters, these issues are
addressed. In other sectors where it is ignored, the issue of security
is addressed when it appears to be a problem. It's fine to address
professional PHP coders about a broken web (they have an interest in
building a system of professional development and integrity for PHP in
the world... a commercial interest ;-) but don't bother preaching it to
businesses until their is a financial incentive or reward. And that
financial reward has to be not only big enough to cover the added costs,
but to earn a profit on it as well.

Plenty of people point a finger at "stupid clients" for not
accommodating the security issues. I disagree. This one is squarely in
PHP developer land. If you want PHP to survive and deliver, you need (as
a community) to find a way to get it secure without the client paying a
line-item premium for it.

-=john andrews