[nycphp-talk] OOP Question: Calling a classes function from another class

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyline) ben at projectskyline.com
Wed Apr 18 09:53:13 EDT 2007

Hello Again,

I've been porting my PHP4 libs to PHP5 OO, and I thus I have no formal OOP training.
This is my crash course.

So, I've created an error logging class,

class Error

and I want to call it from another class.
Is it necessary to create another instance of the class?

I tried to use the Error:Log("error", log_level) (Calling form the Class Utility)
way of calling the function, but the Log( ) function
using $this->someOtherFunction and this is being mistaken for the parent Class (Utility->someOtherFunction) not the Error class.

So, do I have to create a new instane of the object?

Is there any way to create the object in the constructor of the other class,
and then pass it around and call it when I need it via $this->OBJECT->function?

Thanks!

- Ben