[nycphp-talk] Oh... Interviewing

Christopher M Mancini mancinic at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:54:07 EDT 2007

Ophir,
I greatly agree with your statement regarding the un-usefulness of written
technical exams.  A recruiter asked me to complete an online one recently, I
felt lost and disoriented.  Even though that being a developer for almost 3
years using PHP, I have never come ac crossed a problem that I
couldn't FINDan answer for.  But on this exam, I couldn't answer at
least half of the
questions.

Chris

On 8/2/07, Ophir Prusak <prusak at gmail.com> wrote:

> As someone who has been on both sides on the fence, a few helpful
> comments based on my experience:
> (I'm brainstorming here, so this is in no particular order)
>
> - It's totally acceptable to try to get a better understanding of a
> candidates "true" technical capabilities during an interview. Of
> course you need to let them know in advance that you'll be asking
> technical stuff.
>
> - A written test is *not* the best way to gauge a person's knowledge.
> What works best for me is a conversation between myself and the
> candidate.
> This is for a couple of reasons -
> (1) Many people just aren't good at written tests regardless of their
> knowledge (it makes them nervous, etc).
> (2) Ultimately, you shouldn't really care about a person's specific
> knowledge at a specific point in time (ie the interview) You should
> care about their ability to make the right decision at the right time,
> and in timely fashion.
> For me, this means that if the candidate doesn't know something, they
> at least know enough to fully understand the question and it's
> implications, and know where to find the correct answer quickly (and
> understand the answer as well).
>
> - I usually ask the candidate to describe a project they were recently
> involved with and then interweave my questions into the conversation.
> I'll ask why certain decisions were made and what other options they
> were considering.
>
> - It's also very revealing to see what questions the interviewer asks
> back.
> I'll ask something purposely vague (like "you're told to build a new
> web app - what language would u use?")
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Ophir
>

> On 7/20/07, CED <Consult at covenantedesign.com> wrote:
> > I recently sat down with a candidate for a Software Management/Architect
> > position here is what I presented:
> >
> >  Software Architecture
> >   a.. Name 3 design patterns.
> >
> >   b..
> >   c..
> >   d..
> >   e.. Which of the following general statements about a class are true?
> >
> >   f.. Select Answer:
> >
> >   g.. 1. A class represents a concept in an application domain
> >
> >   h.. 2. A class defines a new data type
> >
> >   i.. 3. A class contains data and operations
> >
> >   j.. 4. All of the above
> >
> >   k.. 5. None of the Above
> >
> >   l.. What is the average anticipated load per processor (2GHz) that a
> web
> > application server can support? (in concurrency)
> >
> >   m.. Name 3 Scopes.
> >
> >   n..
> >   o..
> >   p..

> [...]