[nycphp-talk] Many pages: one script

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Aug 5 13:42:41 EDT 2007

I'm considering a simple site that I may design in PHP. PHP is probably
the simplest solution except for one thing: it carries a very strong
coupling between pages and scripts. As far as I've ever been able to
tell PHP really, really, really wants there to be a single primary .php
file for each URL that does not contain a query string (though that file
may of course invoke others).

For the system I'm designing that simply won't work. In Java servlet
environments it's relatively trivial to map one servlet to an entire
directory structure, so that it handles all requests for all pages
within that hierarchy.

Is there any *reasonable* way to do this in PHP? The only way I've ever
seen is what WordPress does: use mod_rewrite to redirect all requests
within the hierarchy to a custom dispatcher script that converts actual
hierarchy components into query string variables. I am impressed by this
hack, but it's way too kludgy for me to be comfortable with. For one
thing, I don't want to depend on mod_rewrite if I don't have to.

Surely by now there's a better way? How do I overcome the one file per
URL assumption that PHP makes?

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!