[nycphp-talk] Many pages: one script

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Mon Aug 6 21:45:55 EDT 2007

Bare minimum w/ CakePHP (4 files/scripts: model, controller, view,
route) + provided you have a db with a table called "articles":

1) /models/article.php
public class Article extends AppModel {}

2) /controllers/news_controller.php
public class NewsController extends AppController {
   function index($year, $month, $day) {
     $created = $year . "-" . $month . "-" . $day;
     $this->set('articles', $this->Article->findAllByCreated($date);
   }
}

3) /config/routes.php
$Route->connect ('/news', array('controller'=>'News',
'action'=>'index'));

4) /app/views/news/index.php
<?php foreach($articles as $article): ?>
<?= $article['Article']['title'] ?>
<?php endforeach; ?>

mod_rewrite will push everything to index.php which will call a
"Dispatcher" to handle the URL + follow what has been declared in the
routes file.  I believe this would be almost the exact mechanism
found in items like DispatchServlet in Spring, etc.  (although I
think you can abstract more items).

- Jon