[nycphp-talk] Friendly URLS... The easy way!

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Aug 6 22:16:53 EDT 2007

Paul Houle wrote:
> There's an easy way to get 'friendly' URLs in PHP.  There are two tricks
> involved:
>
> (1) It seems to be a bit obscure that if you have a PHP script at
>
> http://somewhere.com/myscript.php
>
> the same script is called if you visit
>
> http://somewhere.com/myscript.php/some/subdirectories.gif
> http://somewhere.com/myscript.php/article/2007/07/07/hello-world
>
> Try it!

Amazing! I did just try it and that actually works. You can use a PHP
script to replace a directory. I thought there had to be something that
easy, but I've never seen it done that way.

I think what Ken last suggested amounts to the same thing, but I
couldn't quite see how his example actually worked.

It is indeed pretty obscure. I wonder if this is documented anywhere?

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!